Friday, February 24, 2017

Oscar Thoughts / Predictions 2017

  The night of stars, the big showdown of kino (or said to be kino) is here once again.  As usual, here's my predictions, and wants for what I view as my categories of most interest. Let's begin:


Best Picture

* Arrival – Shawn Levy, Dan Levine, Aaron Ryder, and David Linde
Fences – Scott Rudin, Denzel Washington, and Todd Black
Hacksaw Ridge – Bill Mechanic and David Permut
Hell or High Water – Carla Hacken and Julie Yorn
Hidden Figures – Donna Gigliotti, Peter Chernin, Jenno Topping, Pharrell Williams, and Theodore Melfi
La La Land – Fred Berger, Jordan Horowitz, and Marc Platt
Lion – Emile Sherman, Iain Canning, and Angie Fielder
Manchester by the Sea – Matt Damon, Kimberly Steward, Chris Moore, Lauren Beck, and Kevin J. Walsh
Moonlight – Adele Romanski, Dede Gardner, and Jeremy Kleiner

 Who I predict:  This one is a tough toss up, some good films that have done well in various circuits, tossed together here. La La Land has the most nominations here, but most likely fights against Moonlight for also big on the scene. I could see a Hidden Figures, Fences, Manchester by the Sea, or Hacksaw Ridge all most contend for this too.

Who I want: La La Land, my favorite for what I have seen. Arrival would be shockingly cool as well

 Best Director:
* Denis Villeneuve – Arrival
Mel Gibson – Hacksaw Ridge
Damien Chazelle – La La Land
Kenneth Lonergan – Manchester by the Sea
Barry Jenkins – Moonlight

Who I predict: Most likely Chazelle or Jenkins due to their other nominations.

Who I want: Chazelle, the magic touch.


Best Actor:
*Casey Affleck – Manchester by the Sea as Lee Chandler
Andrew Garfield – Hacksaw Ridge as Desmond T. Doss
Ryan Gosling – La La Land as Sebastian Wilder
Viggo Mortensen – Captain Fantastic as Ben Cash
Denzel Washington – Fences as Troy Maxson

Who I predict: This is a tough one, one would predict Gosling or Denzel for their other categories, but also I could see Garfield being a Academy leader, or Affleck. Almost a tie ..

Who I want: Andrew Garfield so we can pretend it was for Silence


Best Actress
* Isabelle Huppert – Elle as Michèle Leblanc
Ruth Negga – Loving as Mildred Loving
Natalie Portman – Jackie as Jackie Kennedy
Emma Stone – La La Land as Mia Dolan
Meryl Streep – Florence Foster Jenkins as Florence Foster Jenkins

Who I predict: I am not too sure, havent seen most of these top contenders in general. Stone for best picture ? Portman..a vibe? Streep?

Who I want: Heck I'll choose... Negga, since people are surprised to see nominated and itd be a big step for agents of shield cast members. And of course Stone for the star of La La Land.

Best Supporting Actor

*Mahershala Ali – Moonlight as Juan
Jeff Bridges – Hell or High Water as Marcus Hamilton
Lucas Hedges – Manchester by the Sea as Patrick Chandler
Dev Patel – Lion as Saroo Brierley
Michael Shannon – Nocturnal Animals as Detective Bobby Andes

Who I predict: Mahershala Ali or Jeff Bridges, heaviest hitters

Who I want: I haven't see Moonlight but Ali seems like a shining part of it. All the others are ones I greatly respect as well.

Best Supporting Actress
* Viola Davis – Fences as Rose Maxson
Naomie Harris – Moonlight as Paula
Nicole Kidman – Lion as Sue Brierley
Octavia Spencer – Hidden Figures as Dorothy Vaughan
Michelle Williams – Manchester by the Sea as Randi

Who I predict: If Moonlight's entry in SA was strong, here even stronger.. I predict Harris, rivaled by Viola Davis.

Who I want: Viola Davis would be nice .


Best Animated Feature Film
* Kubo and the Two Strings – Travis Knight and Arianne Sutner
Moana – John Musker, Ron Clements, and Osnat Shurer
My Life as a Zucchini – Claude Barras and Max Karli
The Red Turtle – Michaël Dudok de Wit and Toshio Suzuki
Zootopia – Byron Howard, Rich Moore, and Clark Spencer

Who I predict: Zootopia, the strongest of Disney fighting itself but also the highest previous critical praise.

Who I want: Kubo, give Laika a award finally please. Or The Red Turtle for a return of Ghibli

Best Original Score
*Jackie – Mica Levi
La La Land – Justin Hurwitz
Lion – Dustin O'Halloran and Hauschka
Moonlight – Nicholas Britell
Passengers – Thomas Newman

Who I predict: La La Land

Who I want: La La Land

Best Visual Effects
*Deepwater Horizon – Craig Hammack, Jason Snell, Jason Billington, and Burt Dalton
Doctor Strange – Stephane Ceretti, Richard Bluff, Vincent Cirelli, and Paul Corbould
The Jungle Book – Robert Legato, Adam Valdez, Andrew R. Jones, and Dan Lemmon
Kubo and the Two Strings – Steve Emerson, Oliver Jones, Brian McLean, and Brad Schiff
Rogue One: A Star Wars Story – John Knoll, Mohen Leo, Hal Hickel, and Neil Corbould

Who I predict: The Jungle Book, most signs point. Although I could see Strange being Marvel's first win in a long time..

Who I want: Always have to cheer for Star Wars ! Although equally, Strange.


We shall see what happens on this intense night... tune in Sunday the 26th at 7:30pm cst for results.

No comments:

Post a Comment