Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Oscar Predictions: 2014

Hello folks, special note here.   In what will become an annual tradition, here are my thoughts on the upcoming Oscar awards.  In each case, I will list nominees for the most major categories/ones I care personally about, then both say who I think will win, who I want to win, and why for each.  Let’s begin:

Best Picture
-          American Hustle
-          Captain Phillips
-          Dallas Buyers Club
-          Gravity
-          Her
-          Nebraska
-          Philomena
-          12 Years A Slave
-          The Wolf of Wall Street
Who I Predict:  I think it will be 12 Years a Slave, for both its ensemble cast and topic.  The Academy LOVES dramatic portrayals of racial tension as seen in past years
Who I Want: Captain Phillips, because it is a great film with stellar acting from both its famous lead and its amateur extras

Best Director:
-           David O’Russell , American Hustle
-          Alfonso Cuaron, Gravity
-          Alexander Payne, Nebraska
-          Steve McQueen, 12 Years a Slave
-          Martin Scorsese, The Wolf of Wall Street

Who I Predict:  I can see Cuaron winning for his special techniques used in the film. Of course, since I see 12 Years a Slave winning, McQueen would not be far behind
Who I Want: Scorsese, for making a stellar film right up there with his classics

Best Actor:
 -  Christian Bale, American Hustle
- Bruce Dern, Nebraska
- Leonardo DiCaprio, The Wolf of Wall Street
- Chiwetel Ejiofor, 12 Years a Slave
- Matthew McConaughey, Dallas Buyers Club
Who I Predict: I would say McConaughey, so much buzz is flying around about his turn in that film and award prospects, and such a movie would not surprise me
Who I want: DICAPRIO, for the love of arceus.  He can be an incredible actor, and has been snubbed for many years.  Of all people without an Oscar,  he deserves it most. Now is maybe his best chance yet at getting it finally

Best Actress:
-          Amy Adams, American Hustle
-          Cate Blanchett, Blue Jasmine
-          Sandra Bullock, Gravity
-          Judi Dench, Philomena
-          Meryl Streep, August Osage County
Who I Predict: Hmm, I would say perhaps Sandra Bullock. Her performance is one of the best highlights given over that film and in those cases it’s a strong sign
Who I Want: I’ll have to agree with Bullock.

Best Supporting Actor:
-          Barkhad Abdi, Captain Phillips
-          Bradley Cooper, American Hustle
-          Michael Fassbender, 12 Years a Slave
-          Jonah Hill,  The Wolf of Wall Street
-          Jared Leto, Dallas Buyer’s Club
Who I Predict: Abdi seems like a near lock for Phillips, much buzz and newcomers are often appreciated
Who I Want: Fassbender, in any situation.  He is incredible
Best Supporting Actress:
-          Sally Hawkins, Blue Jasmine
-          Jennifer Lawrence, American Hustle
-          Lupita Nyong’O, 12 Years a Slave
-          Julia Roberts, August Osage County
-          June Squibb, Nebraska
Who I Predict: I am not really too sure, perhaps Julia Roberts as I’ve got a vibe
Who I want: Jennifer Lawrence of course, america’s sweetheart

Original Screenplay:
-          American Hustle
-          Blue Jasmine
-          Dallas Buyer’s Club
-          Her
-          Nebraska
Who I predict: Nebraska, seems like a likely choice
Who I want: Her, as this lovely film deserves mention and recognition

Adapted Screenplay:
-          Before Midnight
-          Captain Phillips
-          Philomena
-          12 Years A Slave
-          The Wolf of Wall Street
Who I predict: 12 Years a Slave, it’s going to critically wreck house as it has so far
Who I want:  The Wolf of Wall Street, as its script is stellar

Best Animated Film:
-          The Croods
-          Despicable Me 2
-          Ernest and Celestine
-          Frozen
-          The Wind Rises
 Who I predict: Frozen, as it is a critically acclaimed Disney darling
Who I want: The Wind Rises, to honor Miyazaki’s last film work

Best Score:
-          The Book Thief
-          Gravity
-          Her
-          Philomena
-          Saving Mr.Banks
Who I predict: I would say Gravity on this one, seems a likely award
Who I want: Saving Mr.Banks, because it fits

Best Cinematography:
-          The Grandmaster
-          Gravity
-          Inside Llewyn Davis
-          Nebraska
-          Prisoners
Who I predict: Gravity, seems a sheer lock for its visual fidelity
Who I want: Inside Llewyn Davis, good old Coen Brothers

Best Costumes:
-          American Hustle
-          The Grandmaster
-          The Great Gatsby
-          12 Years a Slave
-          The Invisible Woman
Who I predict: 12 Years a Slave, seems likely
Who I want: The Great Gatsby, certainly a great visual style

Best Visual Effects:
-          Gravity
-          The Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug
-          Iron Man 3
-          The Lone Ranger
-          Star Trek Into Darkness
Who I predict: Gravity, because unfortunately as cool as the other films in this category are , the Academy doesn’t appreciate “true cool” and so often chooses a film which has won many other things
Who I want: The Hobbit “part 2”, of the films here I feel as if it was the most aesthetically pleasing and awe-inspiring, especially the dragon wow








No comments:

Post a Comment